Since Sunday there has been numerous tragic murders, apparently random. A pastor was shot on the pulpit, a man killed his family and then went on a random shooting spree in Alabama, killing 12 people, and a 17 year-old killed 16 people in and around a German school. Locally, here in Dallas, a man apparently killed 3 family members overnight.
These are all tragic beyond belief. Tragic because it is so senseless, so meaningless. Of course we feel for the family and friends of those that lost their lives.
Whatever can motivate a person to kill the people closest to them? Or convince them that killing random strangers can provide any kind of relief or pleasure? I simply cannot even think about feeling that way.
But why should we value human life?
1. We were made by God, we are His creations, and as such we should value the gift of life: Psa 139:14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
2. We were made in the image of God, to reflect all that is good and gracious about Him: Gen 1:26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness….Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Eph 4:24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
3. Our purpose is to serve God, and not our own selfish interests, and we should not take away from that service: Psa 145:10 All your works shall give thanks to you, O LORD, and all your saints shall bless you!
4. God values His creation so that He will not trun away those who look for Him: Psa 9:10 And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.
5. God values human life so highly that He sacrificed His own Son to save us from sin and death: Joh 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
The Almighty Creator of all that exists has seen fit to make us for Him, to reveal Himself to us, to offer us grace and salvation and an eternal life with Him, and even sent His own Son to be punished for our weakness. How can we then simply kill others? How dare we devalue life, that which God has made us unto, and has sacrificed deeply so that we may have hope?
I don’t pretend to know what drives people to be so without hope, so desperate. But I do know that when we move away from the value of human life as described by God, and away from the hope eternal that He alone offers, we end up lonely, depressed and desperate. And that is not what He wants for His creation.
If you feel lonely, depressed, desperate and at the end of the road, seek out God before inflicting sorrow and tragedy on yourself or others.